Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Monday's Questions Answered...

The first question of the day on Monday was How do Oedipus Rex and The Importance of Being Earnest "talk" to one another? Well, both Oedipus and Earnest are orphans who ultimatly discover who their birth parents are and they both in some form "get to know" their relations: Oedipus with his mother and Earnest with his cousin. But although their characters live fairly similar lives, their tales are very different. Oedipus ends up with nothing, he banishes himself and Earnest, I assume, lives a happy life with his one love. They are on opposite ends of the spectrum, but they both show you what happens on each end!

The next question posed was What do I think is the most endearing line in literature? But there was a catch, it couldn't be anything ide
ological, wise, or with any meaning. After reading a few other's blogs I agree with most of there lines "Call me Ismael" fabulous, "Everyone called him Popeye" ect. The line I love though, has been cinematically tweaked, but there is no doubt in my mind that the actual line is more convincing, despite the movie line being equally convincing. The line is not at the beginning of the book but is almost the very last line "My dear, I don't give a damn." Rhett Butler just makes my heart melt. Although he does leave Scarlett, she deserved it. The line is straight forward and absolutely perfect!

I kind of forget how this book came up in class but I wrote it down, I think it has to do with how only after writing down an event does it become an expereince, anyways after looking it up and reading about it, it sounds really interesting, so I thought I would add it to my blog to share with everyone courtesy of our beloved Wiki... Haroun and the Sea of Stories and also this quote from The Importance of Being Earnest... CECILY. "I keep a diary in order to enter the wonderful secrets of my life. If I didn't write them down I should probably forget all about them." page 22

And finally, I know Professor Sexson said we were going to watch a clip of the movie version of The Importance of Being Earnest, but I wanted to share the trailer for the movie...it's rather funny...



No comments: